Dog dies in early morning fire

An early morning fire in Manistique has claimed the life of a dog and left a garage a complete loss, according to the Manistique Public Safety Department.

Public Safety, along with Volunteer Fire Officers, were dispatched around 2:30 am Saturday to a structure fire at 615 Park Avenue.

When they arrived on scene, crews found an attached garage to the home was completely engulfed in flames. The power line to the home had been knocked down, and was arcing high voltage electricity across a vehicle parked in the driveway.

Officers used hose line to encircle the home and eliminate the electrical hazard, and had the fire under control in 15 minutes. The garage is still intact but suffered heavy fire and smoke damage and is considered a total loss.

The home was unoccupied at the time.  It is owned by Connie Zellar of Manistique. Her son, Brad Zellar, uses the home but was not there when the fire broke out. The fire remains under investigation by Manistique Public Safety. Officers cleared the scene at 4:30.