Fire at Senior Center in Houghton County

A fire in Houghton County this morning caused the evacuation of an apartment complex. The city of Houghton Fire Department responded to the Heritage Manor Senior Apartment complex just before 10 this morning.

The blaze reportedly broke out in the kitchen area of a unit on the top floor. Officials say the fire was initially considered minor, but the blaze quickly ignited out of control. Fire crews from several departments around Houghton County fought the flame for more than two hours.

Residents were evacuated and taken to dee stadium, where local businesses were quick to donate meals and other necessities. Officials say some residents were treated for smoke inhalation and at least one was taken to Portage Health.

Many residents have family members in the area with whom they can stay. Those who do not will be housed in dormitory rooms at Michigan Tech University.

Officials say the blaze caused significant damage to the complex and residents will not be able to get into their apartments for at least a week.

Donations for those effected by the fire are being accepted at the Houghton City Center. The fire is still under investigation.