Ishpeming apartment fire sends three to hospital

Several people were taken to the hospital and several families were displaced after an early morning fire in Ishpeming.

Residents of the Canda Manor Apartments on Empire Street stood outside as fire crews arrived at the scene.

One man was found unresponsive inside an apartment and was taken to Bell Hospital.

There is no word tonight on his condition.

Two other people were taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire was called in just after 1 a.m. in a third floor apartment.

Firefighters were met with heavy smoke and flames.

Ishpeming fire chief Ed Anderson says the fire was contained quickly and was confined the kitchen area of one apartment.

It had smoke and minor water damage.

Smoke damage affected the entire apartment building.

Three other families were displaced by the fire: two families are being housed at a local motel with Pigs & Heat Fire Relief funds.

The third family is staying with relatives.

The American Red Cross is also helping the fire victims.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department responded with 20 firefighters and three trucks.