Employees at the Kennecott Eagle Mine were busy Saturday cleaning up an acid spill.
Kennecott officials say it happened at the mine site’s water treatment plant.
A faulty valve caused hydrochloric acid to leak into a sealed storage area.
Workers found the spill at about 5 am Saturday.
They contained it, neutralized the acid and cleaned it up by the early afternoon.
No one was hurt.
The Powell Township Fire Department was called in as a precaution.
Kennecott estimates the spill at 75 to 100 gallons.
A spill of that size doesn’t have to be reported to the Michigan DEQ.
Company officials say they’ll report the spill anyway, but they’re not sure if it’s been reported yet.
Posted by: Mike Hoey