TripAdvisor conducted a survey of more than 1,000 American travelers regarding their air travel habits and preferences. The results:
• 91% said they plan to fly domestically in 2012, compared to 84% that did last year
• 45% are concerned that rising gas prices will cause air fares to increase
• 43% consider airplanes to be the most germ-laden travel location, more so than hotel rooms and public transportation
• The 3 most popular months for air travel this year are May, October, and September
• 58% question whether shutting off electronic devices during takeoff and landing is really necessary
• 41% believe that more legroom is the biggest improvement airlines can make, with 30% citing more comfortable seating. However, 71% aren’t willing to pay for extra legroom on domestic flights less than four hours long.
• Of the 20% of fliers who order an alcoholic drink on-board, 42% favor wine.
• 33% would not choose to sit next to the President Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, or Newt Gingrich, if given the opportunity