Sands Township Fire Destroys House

Dry conditions across the U.P. have continued the fire danger.

And the necessity of that precaution was clear across the area today.

A Sands Township couple is safe tonight thanks to their dog.

But they lost their home to a fire this morning.

It happened at about 8 this morning at 982 County Road 480.

Carolyn Anderson and her husband Dick were asleep when their dog’s barking woke them up.

The homeowners say they’re grateful to the fire crews and thankful they got out safely.

Firefighters from Chocolay, Forsyth and Marquette Townships came out to lend mutual aid.

Marquette County Search and Rescue personnel also helped out Sands Township fire crews.

They kept the flames from spreading into the dry woods that surround the Andersons’ house.