Harvey Fire Leaves Family Homeless

An early-morning fire in Chocolay Township leaves a mother and son homeless.

It started shortly before 8 this morning at 155 East Wright Place in Harvey.

Rosa Hoy and her son lived there, and neither one of them was home at the time.

Brad Johnson of the Chocolay Township Fire Department says the fire started in the microwave oven and spread throughout the home, killing 3 of the family’s cats.

Crews from Sands, Skandia and Marquette Townships also responded, along with Medi-Ride EMS.

The firefighters got the flames cleared within 10 minutes.

The Hoy family is currently staying at the Marquette Holiday Inn thanks to the Pigs-n-Heat fire relief fund.