Home of Mercury Spill Will Be Demolished

The Iron Mountain home where Monday’s mercury spill happened will be torn down.

Trinity United Methodist Church owns the home on Carpenter Avenue.

The church is going to pay an environmental team to remove the mercury.

Then they’ll pay a demolition crew to take the house down.

Church officials and police both say the spill is contained and there’s no imminent danger.

About 5 ounces of mercury spilled in the house.

There was also a plastic gas can at the scene with 42 pounds’ worth of mercury inside.

A woman took the can to a home on River Avenue.

That house is now boarded up, and so is the one where the spill happened.

The residents of both homes are being put up in a motel.

They’ve all been tested for contamination, and they’re awaiting the results.