Schools across Upper Michigan are closed and every U.P. county is expecting to get hit with a blast of winter today and tonight. A winter storm warning is in effect until 1 am Thursday, March 1.
The National Weather Service says to expect hazardous weather:
* AREAS OF LIGHT SNOW WILL INCREASE TO WIDESPREAD MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW THIS MORNING. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST IN ESCANABA AFTER 8 AM AND IN MARQUETTE AFTER 10 AM. EXPECT THE SNOW TO DIMINISH DURING THE MID AND LATE AFTERNOON.
* STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL BY LATE THIS EVENING WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 INCHES…WITH THE MAJORITY OF THE ACCUMULATION OCCURRING BY MID AFTERNOON TODAY.
* GUSTY WINDS OUT OF THE EAST MAY PRODUCE SOME PATCHY BLOWING SNOW.
* ROADS WILL BE ESPECIALLY SLIPPERY…MAKING FOR VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL WEDNESDAY. PLOWING AND SHOVELING OF SNOW WILL ALSO BE MORE DIFFICULT.
* VISIBILITIES WILL BE SHARPLY REDUCED DURING PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW.
* PREPARE…PLAN…AND STAY INFORMED. VISIT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/MQT