Space heater possible cause of fire

Space heater possible cause of fire

GLADSTONE — Firefighters were on the scene of a structure fire for about two hours yesterday afternoon.

Officers from Gladstone Public Safety responded to a structure fire on Willow Road after a passing motorist saw smoke coming from the home as they drove along US–2 and 41.

Firefighters arrived and found flames and smoke in the kitchen area. A space heater placed too close to combustibles in the kitchen is what is believed to have caused the fire. The space heater was being used to thaw frozen pipes while the home was undergoing renovations.

The homeowner lives in Wisconsin and was not at the home during this time. No injuries were reported.