Smoke damage in Ishpeming fire

Smoke damage in Ishpeming fire

It was an apartment fire that called out the Ishpeming Fire Department this afternoon.

The fire happened just after 2 p.m. in a building that contained two apartments at 503 Bank Street.

Firefighters say the fire started when a burner was left on the stove with a pan that contained oil.  Combustible material near the stove melted, caught fire and fell onto the pan.

The fire was contained to the stove and stove top area, but the entire building has smoke damage.

All occupants were out of the apartments when firefighters arrived; one resident was treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Firefighters also rescued a dog from one of the apartments.

Assisting at the scene were Bell Memorial EMS and Ishpeming Police Department.

Pigs & Heat, along with the American Red Cross, will also provide assistance to the occupants.

Tagged with