Seniors get temporary housing after Houghton fire

Seniors get temporary housing after Houghton fire

Several dozen Houghton residents forced out of their homes by a fire last week finally got some good news today:  all of the displaced residents of the Heritage Manor in Houghton will have a place to call home, at least for now.

41 Senior Citizens were evacuated from the building following a fire on the fifth floor on Friday.

Those not staying with family or friends were housed at Wadsworth Hall on the Michigan Tech campus until temporary residences could be found.

Executive Director of the Houghton Housing Commission Sherry Hughes says she hopes residents will be able to return to their apartments to collect a few items in a matter of days…not weeks.

In the meantime…the need for supplies is still great.  Organizers are collecting clothing, household items, and even pet supplies.

Donations are being accepted at Lakeview Manor in Hancock.  $12,000 was donated by the Police and Fireman’s Pig’s N’ Heat fund for victims of fire disasters…but that will not be enough.

Houghton Fire Chief Mike Reynolds joined with Lt. Roberts and Hughes in expressing his thanks to Hurontown Fire and Rescue, Hancock Fire Department, and Calumet Township Fire Department and to the police departments for the help during the crisis.


Tagged with