Residents escape house fire without injury

Residents escape house fire without injury

ISHPEMING — No injuries were reported after a house fire in Ishpeming Tuesday evening.

Officials at the Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department say they were called out to the fire on Greenwood Street shortly before 7:00 p.m. When they entered the home, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the second floor. They discovered that a mattress and contents of the second floor bedroom were on fire.

Two residents were in the home at the time of the blaze, but they were able to safely leave and call 911. Firefighters were on scene for about an hour. The residence sustained moderate smoke, water, and heat damage. Officials say the careless use of smoking materials is believed to have caused the fire.

Firefighters were assisted at the scene by the Ishpeming City Police, Ishpeming Township Fire Department, and Marquette County Rescue 131. Fire Department officials say the American Red Cross and Marquette Pigs ‘n’ Heat fire relief fund will be providing help for the residents.