Powell Twp. Firefighter’s Family Homeless After Blaze

A Saturday night fire leaved an area family homeless.

It’s in Big Bay, actually at the home of a longtime member of the Powell Township Volunteer Fire Department.

The department says it happened shortly after 11 Saturday night at 506 Schenk Street in Big Bay.

Larry and Anne Dionne lived there.

And Larry Dionne has been a township firefighter for more than 2 decades.

Fire crews think some faulty electrical wiring in the attic touched off the blaze.

The power in the house went out shortly before the fire started.

The roof caved in and everything inside was destroyed, so it’s considered a total loss.

Making matters worse, the house wasn’t insured.

But no one was hurt.

There’s been a fire relief fund set up for the Dionne family at the U.P. Catholic Credit Union.

But that’s not all the community is doing to help them out.

We’ll have more about that tomorrow on UGN News.

Tagged with