Negaunee Home Explosion

A home in Negaunee is a total loss after it exploded early Sunday morning.

The city’s Fire Department says it happened shortly before 3 am on Sunday at 1016 Baldwin Avenue.

All four people inside the home got out safely, but they sought their own medical treatment as a precaution. No one else was injured.

Firefighters say a possible natural gas leak in the basement was the cause of the explosion and ignition source for the fire.

The home was totally engulfed in flames when crews arrived, with fire rolling out of the bay windows at the front of the house.

The second floor was consumed by fire several minutes later.

There was no wind blowing at the time, and fire crews say that helped keep the fire contained to just that one home. Neighboring houses suffered superficial damage.

The Negaunee Township Fire Department, Marquette County Rescue Unit 131, the Negaunee City Department of Public Works and crews from SEMCO Energy all helped out at the scene.

Posted by: Mike Hoey

Tagged with