Lansing – The Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget (DTMB) and Michigan Government Television today announced the launch of an enhanced online portal that will increase transparency of, and access to, state government. MGTV has served as the part-time, non-commercial cable channel providing programming from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (EST), Monday through Friday. Beginning in January, MGTV will transition from a cable channel to become the new MiTV web portal. Whether at home or traveling, MiTV will give Michigan citizens access to expanded and readily available programming options 24 hours a day, seven days a week by going online to www.michigan.gov/MiTV.
“The launch of MiTV will improve transparency and access to Michigan government by providing Michigan citizens with around-the-clock access to their state government,” said Kurt Weiss, spokesperson for DTMB. “The online portal modernizes the delivery of government proceedings and expands programming options by allowing anyone to point and click to live and archived government programming. Transforming MGTV into a web portal is a logical step at this point in time.”
Moving this programming to the Internet will expand potential viewership within Michigan and worldwide, since MGTV is currently carried by a limited number of cable operators throughout the state.
A newly appointed MiTV board will replace the MGTV board to act as an oversight body, with members from the House, Senate, Judiciary, and Executive branch. MiTV will:
- Modernize the delivery of government proceedings by relying on a 24/7 online portal.
- Increase transparency of and improve access to all three branches of Michigan state government.
- Develop online access to thousands of hours of copyrighted, archived government programming.
- Provide timely access to state legislative, judicial and executive branch activities.
- Expand programming options by transitioning from one channel to many different links on a web portal, which will enable the user to point and click to live and archived programming of all branches of government.
- Expand the audience of those interested in Michigan government by providing programming — anytime and anywhere — to anyone in the world who has a device with an Internet connection and the ability to stream video.
“The cable industry was instrumental in creating MGTV as a cable programmer in 1996, and the cable industry’s commitment to innovation and access is driving this transformation of MGTV from a part-time channel to a 24/7 online portal,” said MGTV Board of Directors President Lisa Birmingham. “Cable is proud to support the Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget in this exciting launch of an enhanced MGTV web portal.”
This transition will begin January 1, 2013, when the new web portal launches. The cable channel will no longer be available beginning in mid-January 2013.