ISHPEMING — This Saturday will provide a unique opportunity for community members to support their local businesses while helping feed students in their school district at the same time.
The Downtown Ishpeming Indoor “Fishing” Derby is set–up similar to a poker run. Teams of two visit the eight businesses participating in downtown Ishpeming to collect fake fish. The event was put together by the Co–Owners of Brogie’s Tavern, Matt and Becky DeWitt.
“Hematite Power Packs is a cause that hasn’t asked for any money,” said Co–Owner of Brogie’s Tavern Matt DeWitt, “but kind of felt like they could probably use it; and it’s something that directly impacts this community. It’s something that’s happening with businesses in downtown Ishpeming and goes directly back to kids who live right here in Ishpeming.”
The Hematite Power Packs food assistance program has already helped more than 60 kids since it began last fall.
“We established at the Ishpeming School District to help bridge the gap with hunger over the weekends,” said Hematite Power Packs Organizer Diana Sundberg, “a lot of children in our district receive free and reduced lunches every day and sometimes that may be the only meal they receive.”
Participating businesses include Brogie’s Tavern, Rare Earth Goods, Rainbow Bar, Jack’s Tee Pee, Congress Pizza, Paradise Bar, Venice Pub and Pizzeria, and Cognition Brewing Company.
The entry fee is only 10 dollars per team, and all teams must register at Brogie’s Tavern by 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Downtown Fishing Derby Rules
The Derby will take place on Saturday, February 20th, in Ishpeming, Michigan. Any questions about rules, supplies, promotion, or participation, can be directed toward Matt DeWitt. Email email@example.com, call or text 906-204-9675.
1. Teams must consist of two people, each person must be at least 21 years of age as of the day of the derby.
2. Each team must arrive at Brogie’s and be registered by 1:00PM. Brogie’s opens at 12:00 Noon. Registration consists only of collecting the names and phone numbers of each team member, and being presented with the derby team participant card.
3. Teams must visit every participating location and have their participant card marked by the staff at the venues in order to win cash prizes. Having a complete team participant card is the only way to qualify for cash prizes.
4. Each team will receive one fish at each venue upon having the participant card marked.
5. Each venue may present the opportunity for all participants (both team members) to receive one additional fish each. This is to be set up and executed by each venue. The only limitation is that a maximum of three fish may be earned per team, per location.
6. The fish will be in black plastic bags that are taped shut. They must be left that way in order to qualify. The fish bags will be opened at the time of measurement to collect data on your “catch” for the derby. Any open bags will not qualify as a part of the total measurement. This “blind draw” process is in place to ensure fair play and equal chances for all participants.
7. Tabulation of team “catch” totals will begin at Brogie’s at 7:00PM. Awards will be presented as close to 8:00PM as possible or earlier. The goal will be to keep participants from needing to wait around. Please return to Brogie’s as close to 7:00PM as possible.
8. There will be 5 “species” of fish to “catch” and will be a variety of “sizes”. $25 cash will be awarded to the team that catches the “largest fish” in each “species” and $50 cash will be awarded to the team with the biggest overall “catch”. $175 is the maximum total cash payout.