Lab explosion sends two to the hospital

Lab explosion sends two to the hospital

HOUGHTON — There were no serious injuries after an explosion Wednesday night at the Minerals and Materials Engineering Building at Michigan Tech University.

Just after 8:30 p.m., a container of nitric acid exploded in a fume hood. One of the two students working in the lab suffered minor lacerations to his forearms. He was treated and released at UP Health System – Portage. Another student was taken to the hospital for observation and she was later released.

MTU officials say the students were following the proper procedure for disposing outdated nitric acid. The building was evacuated as a precautionary measure. The building reopened at 10:30 p.m.