Ishpeming Weekend House Fire

An Ishpeming firefighter was hurt while trying to put out a blaze in the city on New Year’s Eve.

It happened at 174 West Superior Street, shortly before 11:30 pm on Saturday.

The homeowner was home alone and asleep at the time of the fire.

The smoke woke him up; and he got out safely and called 911.

The kitchen was heavily damaged from the flames, and the remainder of the home took smoke damage.

One of the responding firefighters injured an ankle.

He was treated at Bell Hospital and released.

The Ishpeming Fire Department says the home did not have any working smoke detectors.

The Red Cross and the Pigs–n–Heat Fire Relief Fund are helping the homeowner.

Firefighters say they believe it was an electrical fire.

Tagged with