APPROVAL OR DISAPPROVAL OF AMENDATORY ACT TO REDUCE STATE USE TAX AND REPLACE WITH A LOCAL COMMUNITY STABILIZATION SHARE TO MODERNIZE THE TAX SYSTEM TO HELP SMALL BUSINESSES GROW AND CREATE JOBS
The amendatory act adopted by the Legislature would:
- Reduce the state use tax and replace with a local community stabilization share of the tax for the purpose of modernizing the tax system to help small businesses grow and create jobs in Michigan.
- Require Local Community Stabilization Authority to provide revenue to local governments dedicated for local purposes, including police safety, fire protection, and ambulance emergency services.
- Increase portion of state use tax dedicated for aid to local school districts.
- Prohibit Authority from increasing taxes.
- Prohibit total use tax rate from exceeding existing constitutional 6% limitation.
Should this law be approved?
YES – 1096
NO – 403
ANIMAL CONTROL PROGRAM RENEWAL MILLAGE
PROPOSAL TO LEVY TWO-TENTHS (0.2) OF ONE MILL FOR THE OPERATION OF THE HOPE ANIMAL SHELTER & PART-TIME ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER (“GOGEBIC COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL PROGRAM”) FOR A PERIOD OF FOUR (4) YEARS FROM 2014-2017, INCLUSIVE:
Shall the previous voted limitation on the total amount of taxes which may be assessed against all property in the County of Gogebic be increased two-tenths (0.2 per $1,000.00 of taxable valuation) for a period of four (4) years, 2014-2017 inclusive, the taxes so raised to be used exclusively for the continued operation of the Gogebic County Animal Control Program and shall the County of Gogebic levy such increase in millage for such purposes during such period, which increases will raise in the first year of such levy an estimated $99,219.85?(This is the millage rate that has been in effect from 1998-2013 and represents a renewal rather than an increase.)
YES – 1210
NO – 305
GOGEBIC COUNTY MEDICAL CARE FACILITY MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT
PROPOSITION TO LEVY 0.6 MILLS FOR THE CONTINUED PAYMENT OF MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT COSTS TO THE STATE OF MICHIGAN FOR THE OPERATION OF THE GOGEBIC MEDICAL CARE FACILITY FOR A PERIOD OF FOUR (4) YEARS FROM 2015-2018, INCLUSIVE:
Shall the previous voted increase in the 15 mill tax limitation and levy as reduced by the required millage rollback, resulting in a levy of .6 mills ($0.6 per $1,000.00 of state taxable valuation) upon taxable real and tangible personal property within the County of Gogebic, be continued for a period of Four (4) years, 2015-2018 inclusive, the taxes so raised to be used exclusively for the paying of Gogebic County’s Maintenance of Effort payments to the State of Michigan for the continued operation of the Gogebic County Medical Care Facility, which levy will raise in the first year of the levy the estimated sum of $299,066.00? (This millage rate represents a renewal of the millage, rather than an increase.)
YES – 1232
NO – 276