Gas leak scare at Houghton Church

Gas leak scare at Houghton Church


Emergency crews responded to an alarm at a historic church in Houghton this morning.

The Houghton Fire Department investigated a suspected gas leak at the Trinity Episcopal Church on Montezuma Avenue about 10:30am.

Houghton Fire Chief Mike Reynolds said the alarm was triggered by paint fumes from a crew that was working in the church.

The sandstone structure has stood on its current site since 1910 and serves a parish that has existed since the 1860’s.

It is one of the oldest churches in the Copper Country.

After the building was inspected, it was declared safe.

Tagged with