Fire Kept Under Control at Marquette Senior HS

Firefighters and school employees keep a small fire at Marquette Senior High School from becoming a major one.

The fire department says it started shortly after 7 this morning in the high school’s basement.

The lint trap of a clothes dryer was what caught fire.

The high school’s 2 custodians called 911.

But Captain Scott Weymouth says the 2 were able to put out the blaze themselves before firefighters could get there.

The fire crews ventilated the basement, and the building was evacuated.

The school building itself didn’t take any damage.

Fire crews left the scene 15 minutes before the start of the class day, so classes went on as usual.

The custodians were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

They were taken to Marquette General for further treatment.

Tagged with