An Ishpeming bar has been ruled a total loss after being engulfed in flames for more than twelve hours.
Hickey’s Bar caught fire around 11:00 Wednesday night. Ishpeming and Negaunee Firefighters arrived at the scene shortly after as the structure began to fill with smoke. Fire officials believe the fire started at the far rear wall of the building. There were customers inside at the time of the fire, but they were able to get out safely. Several residents of an upstairs apartment were also able to get out in time, as the building’s second story started to collapse.
No injuries were reported, but the business has been considered a total loss.
Firefighters were hampered by high voltage power lines in close proximity to the structure as they attempted to contain the blaze. Electric power remained out at several businesses in the downtown areas as of 11:00 a.m. UPPCO Crews are working to have power restored as soon as possible.
Fire crews remained on scene until 11:15 a.m. putting out hot spots.
The Ishpeming Township Volunteer Fire Department, the Negaunee Volunteer Fire Department, Marquette County Rescue, Bell Memorial EMS, Marquette County Sheriffs and the Ishpeming Police Department all assisted on scene.
The fire is under investigation at this, but does not appear to be suspicious.