A fire destroyed a home over the weekend in Marquette County.
The Powell Township Fire Department responded to a fire Sunday afternoon at 3:52 p.m. on County Road 550, about three miles south of Big Bay.
When fire fighters arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames. One fire official says the fire started when papers near a wood stove ignited.
Christine Mersmann and her 7-year-old grandson escaped the house. She suffered minor facial burns. Two dogs were also in the home. One made it out safely; the other died.
The building is considered a total loss.
Powell Township EMS and Marquette Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.