UPDATE: Fire claims Ishpeming home

UPDATE: Fire claims Ishpeming home

UPDATE: March 13th, 4:08 p.m.

Some relief efforts are already underway to help Cara Zanetti. Her co-workers at Lake Superior Hospice are collecting cash, gift cards and large, comfortable clothing items at their office at 914 West Baraga Avenue in Marquette.

SIR Credit Union has also set up a Cara Zanetti Fire Relief Fund. Donations to that fund can be made at any SIR branch.

Firefighters from the IVFD returned to the home just after 8 a.m. Thursday on reports that the fire had rekindled.

Firefighters on scene reported that heat trapped in the basement may have cause the rekindling.

The basement is inaccessible, firefighters said, but they will monitor the heat levels and use their water hoses as needed.


Another fire has claimed a home in Ishpeming.

Officials from the City of Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department say firefighters were called to a residence at 444 Marquette Street just after 11:30 Wednesday night where they found the home completely engulfed in flames.

The home’s owner, Cara Zanetti, was asleep when the fire started, but awoke after smelling smoke and managed to escape. Zanetti suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported by Bell EMS to Bell Memorial Hospital. Two firefighters were treated and released at Bell for minor lacerations.

The fire is believed to have started in the first floor fireplace. The home is considered a total loss. The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund and American Red Cross will offer the homeowner assistance.

Firefighters spent about four hours ensuring the blaze was extinguished. The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Marquette County 131 Rescue, Ishpeming City Police Department, and Bell EMS.