Drive-By Shooting Suspects in Custody

Three people believed to be involved in a drive–by shooting in Marquette Sunday are in custody on unrelated charges.

The shooting happened shortly before 3:30 Sunday morning at a home on the 500 block of Center Street.

The homeowner said a front window had been shot out by a known group of people.

Police learned the weapon appeared to be a shotgun.

Neighbors confirmed that they heard what sounded like a gunshot, and they saw a vehicle leave the scene.

The information from the scene led to descriptions of the suspects and the vehicle they were in.

About an hour after the shooting, police pulled the vehicle over in a traffic stop on South Front Street.

During the traffic stop, police arrested a 21–year–old Marquette man on a parole violation.

He’s the prime suspect in the shooting.

17–year–old twin brothers from Marquette were also in the vehicle, and they were arrested for marijuana possession.

Marquette Police Det. Sgt. Doug Heslip has been on the force for nearly 15 years, and he says this is the first drive-by that he can remember in all that time.

No one was hurt in the incident, and police are continuing the investigation with charges to be submitted to the Marquette County Prosecutor’s office.

Northern Michigan University Public Safety and State Police from the Negaunee Post assisted at the scene.

If you have any other information, the Marquette City Police are asking you to call them at 228–0400.

Tagged with