A Richmond Township man whose house burned down early this morning is alive because of his dog. The blaze at 61 County Road MWG started shortly before 4:00 a.m.
Richmond Township Fire Chief Scott Gallion says the homeowner’s dog woke the man up. After escaping the house safely, he tried to go back inside to rescue the dog. However, he suffered minor burns in the process and the dog did not survive.
The Negaunee Township and Forsyth Township Fire Departments were called in for mutual aid. Forsyth Township Fire Chief Don Hutchens says the blaze was a chimney fire that spread throughout the house. He says the resident tried to put out the flames himself but could not.