The resident of a Chocolay Township home that caught fire last night is staying in a local hotel tonight, courtesy of the Pigs–n–Heat Fire Relief Fund.
The home at 1359 M–28 East had mild smoke and water damage from the fire that started at about 9 last night.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze in about half an hour.
The blaze is believed to have started from a pile of rubbish in the basement that ignited.
The fire departments from Marquette Township, Sands Township and Skandia-West Branch Townships provided mutual aid.